Cornerstone Church of Parker is part of the Assemblies of God Fellowship International and is located at 19542 East Parker Square Drive, Parker, CO 80134. Cornerstone is a Spirit-filled community church with a single Sunday service. Its constituency is comprised primarily of middle aged, retired, and some younger families. Church worship is led by one director who engages and mentors others to be worship leaders. We have a contemporary worship style (Elevation, Vertical Church, Hillsong). As a Spirit-filled church, Cornerstone embraces a more conservative expression of Spirit-filled faith, and the gifts can be freely expressed followed by biblical explanation. Cornerstone’s greatest strengths are worship, proclamation of the Word, and fellowship. The current pastor and board have been working to increase our visibility and impact in the community through outreach, partnering with a large apartment complex nearby and sending invite cards across the community. Total attendance has been running from 60-80 per week. Additional information on the church can be viewed at the website cornerstonechurchofparker.org
Cornerstone has a hybrid congregational/Presbyterian form of governance. The membership is the final decision-making body of the church, but delegates authority and duties through the bylaws to others (Deacon Board, Elders, Pastor, AG Doctrine) to act on their behalf. Power is delegated and, at times, even shared in overlapping areas. Cornerstone has two active boards: the Elders and the Deacons. The Elder Board was added to the governance of the church at the beginning of 2016 and assists the Pastor in providing the spiritual vision and direction for the church. The Deacon Board is responsible primarily for the operation of the church. Bylaws of the church can be made available upon request.
The District recognized a need for a church in Parker, and worked with the Aurora First Assembly Church in Aurora to facilitate the planting of that church. Parker Christian Center was established and services began on April 25, 1996. Cornerstone’s building was formerly the post office for Parker, and the auditorium can seat a maximum of 200-225. The church’s name was changed to Cornerstone Church of Parker on January 1, 2016. The reputation of the church in the community is that it is an alternative to some of the larger churches in the area, which makes it a smaller/friendlier church to attend. Also, the lay leadership and Pastor share the same goal and focus for increasing the visibility of our building and expanding our congregation through personal witness and community outreach. In its history, the church has had two full-time senior pastors, and one part-time pastor (the last almost 3 years). The most previous full-time senior pastor who served for over 12 years in that capacity retired from the church as of January 31, 2017. The current part-time pastor announced his needing to move back to a lower altitude for health reasons on January 5, 2020. He is willing to help through the transition of the church until the end of May 2020.
Vision, Mission, Values
Cornerstone seeks to usher people into spiritual maturity by:
- 1. Experiencing God in worship. Creating a community to worship.
- 2. Learning and living the infallible and trustworthy Word of God. Learning and living the teaching of Jesus.
- 3. Serving God and others. Identifying and using our spiritual gifts to serve.
- 4. Loving our world. Providing opportunities for service, outreach, and evangelism.
- 1. Annual Income: $200,000
- 2. Missions Giving: Support total of 8 missionary families at $125 per family
- 3. Debt: $502,000 financed through AG Financial
- 4. Monthly mortgage: $4,286
- 5. Realtor Projected Value of Building: $1,200,000
Parker Demographics and Information
- 1. Overview: Parker, located in Douglas County with easy access to the Denver metropolitan area, is known for its unique Western-Victorian downtown and its hometown feel. Parker is a bedroom community 20 miles southeast of downtown Denver. The population of Parker and the surrounding area is 100,000+. Colorado also has corporate offices and military installations, making the population of Parker transitory at times. Learn More About Parker
- 2. Founding: Parker, Colorado was founded in 1864
- 3. Incorporation: Parker became a municipality in 1981
- 4. Location: Parker is located 20 miles southeast of Denver, Colorado
- 5. Elevation: Parker sits at an elevation of 5,900 feet above sea level
- 6. Size and Population: The Town of Parker is 22.3 square miles with a current population of approximately 56,000 people residing within the incorporated Town boundaries
- 7. Median Age: 34.4
- 8. Median Income: The average income of a Parker resident is $36,763 a year. The US average is $28,555 a year. The Median household income of a Parker resident is $98,170 a year. The US average is $53,482 a year.